I have been so busy this entire month that I have just now gotten around to my second, count it, SECOND post! I am a procrastinator and should be on post 10 by now!! I haven't been up to absolutely nothing, though. I turned 30 on December 9th and have been getting spoiled by my family and friends. I got a night out with my brother and his wife (they got a night out with no babies) and then my best friend took me to a fancy pants spa so I could get my first facial, ever! Besides all of my birthday festivities, we have been up to some fun in my classroom! We had an awesome week learning about the Synonym Sisters and Antonym Brothers! I absolutely love teaching language standards because I love relating the rules to a little story that helps students retain the concept. So here is how I teach synonyms and antonyms...
The Synonym Sisters are older sister Susan and younger sister Sammy. Sammy likes to do everything that her older sister does, but older sister gets very tired of her younger sister always copying her. So since Sammy is super smart, she copies everything her sister says, but instead she changes the word to a different word with the same meaning. So if Susan says something tastes yummy, Sammy will say that it tastes delicious. Susan and Sammy say the same things! (I usually say this repetitively while touching my two pointer fingers together).
The Antonym Brothers are Anthony and Alex. They are twins that were born on the same say, same time, and they look exactly the same. However, they could not be more different. They never, ever agree on anything! If Anthony likes day, then Alex likes night. If Anthony likes morning, then Alex likes night. Even though they are identical, they could not be more opposite. Anthony and Alex practice antonyms that are opposites! (And this is where I say this repetitively and I shake my fingers away from one another).
In order to reinforce this concept I have created my very own Synonym Sister and Antonym Brother Mini Unit! Here is a sneak peak, and a few of my kiddos using the product in action!
3 more days until winter break!! What???!! Happy Teaching Everyone!





0 comments:
Post a Comment